Monday, October 26, 2020
Health And Welfare

SA pledges R8 Million to aid flood victims in Sierra Leone

banner

International Relations Minister Maite Nkoane announced yesterday that South Africa will donate R8 milllion to the flood stricken nation of Sierra Leone where more than 400 people lost their lives due a ravaging mudslide.The impact of the floods in monumental as 3000 people were left homeless and a further 600 are still missing.

The donation will be in the form  of temporary shelter, medical supplied and food aid.The initiative is also supported by the South African broadcasting Corporation(SABC) foundation.The foundations CEO Iris Cupido said ‘the SABC along with its channels are firmly behind the initiatives because every thing that affects Africa affects all of us”

The Minister said that South Africa’s initial plan had been to send a search, rescue and recovery team. The plan was, however, halted after Sierra Leone President Ernest Bai Koroma said that his country had suspended the rescue operation due to difficulties and constraints relating to weather conditions and the bad state of bodies recovered.

 

Related posts

Chefs with Compassion start sustainability movement to help feed those in need

Amanda Mkhize

Sudan launches the cost of hunger in Africa national report

Viwe Tyolwana

Countries failing to prevent violence against children, agencies warn

Viwe Tyolwana

Leave a Comment