Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi says more pupils at the Orlando East Primary School have come forward after social workers visited the school earlier this week.
Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi has appointed an independent body to investigate allegations against the principal and management of a Soweto primary school where over 80 pupils were sexually assaulted.
A 57-year-old patrolman was arrested this week for allegedly molesting 54 school girls. Since then the number has increased.
Lesufi on Thursday removed the senior officials of the Orlando East School while the probe is underway.
The Education MEC says that more pupils at the Orlando East Primary School have come forward after social workers visited the school earlier this week.
“And they gave us the report that the number has increased to 83. We’re left without words.”
Lesufi says the senior management of the school has also been removed with immediate effect to ensure the independence of the probe.
“We want to express our support and care to all the learners and parents must account on our support.”
Parents of pupils say they are furious that they learnt about the sexual abuse allegations from the media and not from the school’s management.